“Embracing the entrepreneurial spirit since 1998”
The Comox Valley Small Business Association provides networking opportunities for members, encourages and assists members in their personal and professional growth, acts as an advocate to promote the growth and acceptance of home based and small business in the Comox Valley, and participates in future decisions that impact economic development in the Comox Valley.
Membership is open to any individual or business that operates, is interested in operating, or has ever operated, a home-based or small business.
The cost of an annual membership (effective June 2013) is $95. If you own more than one home-based or small business, an ‘additional business membership’ may be purchased for 50% of the cost of a full membership ($47.50). Note, however, that individuals/businesses holding more than one membership are only entitled to one vote.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact our membership director.
History of the Small Business Association in the Comox Valley
The Comox Valley Small Business Association (formerly the Comox Valley Home-Based Business Association) started in 1998. A group of enterprising individuals who operated home-based businesses met in a small room above a Comox restaurant to discuss the idea of forming an organization exclusively for home-based businesses. This organization would support the following criteria:
- Effect positive changes in bylaws and attitudes regarding home-based businesses in all levels of local and regional governments and businesses;
- Assist new and existing home-based businesses to achieve healthy sustainable growth through education, business networking and mentoring;
- Help educate the general public on the positive benefits home-based businesses and their contribution to healthy neighborhoods and the economic growth of the Comox Valley;
- Provide social and business contacts for individuals who usually work in isolation;
- Host informative guest speakers offering knowledge, expertise and training required to operate home-based businesses.
In 2011, the HBBA expanded to welcome ALL SMALL BUSINESSES, not just home-based businesses.
In 2012, the HBBA officially changed their name to the Comox Valley Home-Based and Small Business Association (HBSBA).
In 2013, the HBSBA officially changed their name to the Small Business Association (SBA).